Courtney - Trussville, Alabama

I believe that anyone can do anything, just as long as they set their mind to it. If someone has the will power, they can accomplish anything in their wildest dreams. Everyone has the chance to accomplish anything, but whether or not that actually happens is in the hands of the beholder.

For instance, I have wanted to be involved in the school ever since I came here in sixth grade. This year I decided I would finally do something about it, I was going to run for student council. When I went to get the packet to sign up, I was really iffy about running, but I just gave myself that push to try something new. I filled out the form and gave out my teacher recommendation sheets, I thought, you know maybe I can actually do this. I had a week until campaigning and I still didn’t have any ideas on how to get out to students and get their vote. It was also hard for me because I would be on a DECA trip during most of campaigning and was worried that might damper my ability to win. That weekend I got posters and sat down with my mom to come up with some ideas. For the next week my mom and I glued letters and pictures to my posters, it’s like she endured the campaign with me. After making my posters, my mom suggested I look into getting shirts and stickers. We found a small business that could print shirts for fairly cheap and ordered twelve. On the day that the campaigning started, I put up posters and handed out shirts and stickers to people who agreed to wear them. While I was away with DECA, I worried about what was going on with the campaign and what I would do when I came back. Tomorrow is the day the students vote, and I could not be more nervous. If I don’t win, I will be a little disappointed, but it will have been a great experience I can take with me and use the next year. If I do win, I would feel great. I could finally actually do something to help my fellow classmates and school. I feel that have accomplished what I wanted, I put myself out there and no matter what the conclusion, I will be happy that I tried my hardest at something I would really like to do.

Accomplishments are a great part of life. They make something so small feel so good when it’s completed. I think that accomplishments are a big part of life, and that’s why I believe that anyone can do anything, as long as they put their mind to it.