Marisa - Trussville, Alabama

I believe that success comes from hard work. The only way a person can gain success is from prior experiences. I have worked hard my whole life and have gained a lot of knowledge from my experiences. Growing up, my sister helped me learn to read at an early age. My thirst for knowledge grew from there on out. When I went to school, I notice that kids were not doing well because they did not try. Then I realized, “Education does not matter if the child does not put forth any effort. These children do not try because they think they have better things to do.”

After I finished first grade, I started a dream to go to a really nice college. I wanted to go to Massachusetts Institute of Technology. While there I was to become a mechanical engineer. I have kept with this dream, and I have worked hard ever since I was little. This started a habit. Everything I did in school was all the effort I had put into that assignment. Knowledge started coming easier and easier, assignments were not as difficult as they used to be, and everything was going my way.

Education became my most important aspect of life. I had set my future in stone knowing that my dream was coming true. During my life I also learned that it is better to help others; so, I showed other people how to attain the good habit of hard work. I joined Peer Helpers and a math tutor group. By doing this, I saw that it is easier to learn by teaching other people. Peer Helpers helped the people being tutored and the tutors.

Hard work was not easy to gain, and it came with a cost. This took a lot of my time to do other things. It also took others help, like my parents and sister. Without them it would have taken months or years to attain my goal. Once I learned how to keep working hard, it was like riding a bike, I could never forget how. It showed me other points of view in life. It showed me how better off the world would be if we just kept to our goal and dream with as much effort we can put forth. Better individuals would come out of society and show better qualities of leadership.

Hard work has shown me that getting to my dream is not as easy as I think, although it can become easier if I put forth an effort. I just hope I can stay on task and believe in my dream.