Cheryl - Redford, Michigan

This I Believe:

Working for the private sector and government industries I have attended a lot of trainings related to public relations and customer service.

Some of the recommendations are as follows:

• I will smile (even when on the phone).

• I will give individuals a warm and sincere greeting, using their names.

• I will anticipate and meet others needs.

• I will “own” any problem brought to me and do everything I can to solve the problem to the person’s satisfaction. I will “make it right.”

• I will return telephone calls and e-mails promptly, showing that I care.

• I will identify myself on the phone.

• I will say “my pleasure” or “I’d be happy to” instead of “you’re welcome.”

• I will ask “Is there anything else I may do for you today?” at each encounter.

• I will give others a warm good-by and thank you, using their names when possible.

• I will treat others with kindness and respect.

• I will pledge to provide the finest personal service.

• I will make all interactions positive and professional.

• I will take responsibility for uncompromising cleanliness.

• I will take pride and care in my personal appearance.

Now based upon the above statements I asked myself during these training why am I here? Really why are we all here? I remember as a child that my parents who taught me the following:

• I did not sleep with you last night so you need to greet me in the morning.

• They always told me to give people the time of day, rather you like them or not. In other words “always speak.”

• You get more bees with honey that is being “sweet and kind to others”.

• If you going to do something do it right the first time in others words “take pride in your work, appearance and self.”

• “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you (the golden rule).” If you want to be treated humanely then make sure you do the same to others.

• When meeting someone always put a handle on their names that is Mr., Miss., Mrs., and Ms.

• When you answer the phone reply “this is she or this is he”, I’m sorry he or she is not available at this time may I take a message.

• Make sure you bathe and have clean clothes on when you leave home you never know when you may be in an accident.

• Be responsible for your actions you have no one to blame but yourself when something goes wrong.

• Mr. John called you today please make sure you return his call it’s rude to not response to people when they are trying to reach you.

• If you want a job dress the part appearance is everything.

These were just a few things I learned from my parents, teachers, elders and religious leaders while I was growing up. I find it strange that I am mandated to sit in a class for eight hours for things I already know and apply in my daily life. This I believe we can’t wait until children to become adults to teach them brotherly love and respect. This should be a part of the growth process as the child develops. Unacceptable behavior should be immediately put in check and a rationale provided to the child why it’s unacceptable. We have become a society that counts on others to teach our children what they should have learned as children from their parents. We want the private sector or government to teach our children what we failed to teach them as children. I recall an old saying “a day late and a dollar short”. We spend millions of dollars on things that should have been taught years ago. No one is a winner the company loses on lost work time spent on endless seminars and training, and the customer loses because production is slow because an employee is attending the training. Monies could have been used for raises, promotions, benefits, education and earned time off. If the golden rule in life becomes obsolete then I believe Mankind will also become obsolete.

This I believe