Lyndall - Lynchburg, Virginia

We Believe in Writing

We believe that writing is a powerful force that has the ability to change lives and mind-sets. Not only does putting words onto paper enable us to organize the jumble of thoughts that often crowd our minds, but the process of externalizing those thoughts also allows others to share in academic and personal experiences, thus fostering a common bond of humanity. Writing is an essential requirement of the academic world because of its power to communicate. Having a firm understanding of the writing process will lead to greater self-confidence in all areas and will help any individual gain success in life.

A complete college education, regardless of the discipline, can only be achieved through a mastery of the writing process. Synthesizing focused and concise information facilitates the learning process by enabling writers to organize concepts and details. In academic writing, students follow a structured process that is somewhat scientific, organizing ideas into a thesis and providing evidence to substantiate their claims. After establishing the format of a paper, students can begin to edit their grammar, style, and word choices. Writing also complements other means of communication by cogently presenting abstract ideas.

Writers choose the style of language that best conveys the point that they want to express. However, to portray an idea as clearly as possible, writers need to revise constantly. While a composition rarely reaches a perfect final draft, writing is a superior form of communication that can be read for generations to come. The research and ideas of people who lived in the past have been preserved for modern day readers. Written records are useful in history, anthropology, philosophy, science, and many other fields of study. Even imperfect writing is a way to preserve the thoughts, deeds, and context of a writer or subject.

We believe that the written word has been more influential in shaping ideas and beliefs than any other form of communication. No other medium of expression has had such a significant role in sparking revolution, challenging morals, and documenting history. Pictures, we are told, say a thousand words; thus, imagine the images that a thousand words can produce.

– Michelle Hensley, Erin Lloyd, Rosalind Eberhart, Leslie Harris, Grace Rochfort, Jackie Fox, Lora Settle, Aaron Rubin, Sarah Preno, Kathleen Corcoran, Ellen Parks, Ryan Mayr, Jennifer La Plante, Mihaela Piron, Dana Sliva, Carter Maxey, and Carolyn Nelson

The Wilmer Writing Center tutors

Lynchburg College

Lynchburg, Va