ben - Bowling Green, Kentucky

I Believe In the Power of Peace

In peace there’s nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility, (William Shakespeare)

In the 1960’s everyone was clamoring for peace. College campuses everywhere were struggling with how to teach traditional values in a political climate of strife. Students demonstrating for peace were often confronted with violence for no other reason than clamoring for peace. Today, the situation in Iraq is creating the same clamoring for peace seen 40 years ago. But, peace in Iraq seems a dim and distant hope.

But I believe peace does exist in our world. If we stop and quite our minds, we can see glimpses of peace all around us. A good example of this is just the other day I was watching a puppy simply lying in the sun, and I was amazed at how peaceful it appeared. Later, I watched my two horses grazing in the small pasture behind my home and I felt a sense of peace. Today, I was mowing the lawn, and I felt a calming sense of peace, I don’t know why, but I just did.

I, like so many others, am guilty of trying to do too much (work–school-family). I work for myself as a concrete contractor, which can be very physically demanding at times. I’m also a full-time non-traditional student here at the university. I live in a house with my wife, three daughters, two granddaughters, and my sister in-law (a feat that would break all but the hardiest of men). With this kind of a schedule life can get pretty hectic sometimes. I get tired and frustrated as easily as the next guy, but still there’s times when I’m studying in my bedroom and my daughters are bonding while watching their favorite television show, the granddaughters are running and laughing up and down the hallway, and my wife and her sister are sitting at the kitchen table talking and laughing, I smile and know that despite all their bickering, they still love one another and that’s all that matters.

I’m also old enough to realize how quickly time slips by and yet I continue to trade today for tomorrow. I know I tell myself that someday I’ll slow down, like after I complete my schooling, but I don’t think I ever will. So, I’ve decided to make sure and notice the roses while their blooming, to look for those little glimpses of peace wherever they may be, and to be content knowing that peace does exist in our world. This I believe.