Amy - Huntsville, Alabama

NEW BEGINNINGS

As I left the house this morning, I did my routine check of the new bird’s nest in the Jackson Vine on my front porch. My family and I are eagerly anticipating the arrival of these baby Robins. New Beginnings.

Last weekend, I went to an annual Easter Egg Hunt on a 125-acre farm in Gurley, Alabama. They had hidden over 6,000 eggs! When the children were given the signal, they scattered like a flock of starlings, the cold wind blowing their hair and scarves. New Beginnings.

As we enjoyed a warm lunch after the eggs were gathered, I was chatting with friends and was introduced to a woman. As we talked, I learned she was going through a divorce, had obtained a protection order for her and her child, and was being stalked. New Beginnings.

At my office, we are beginning the evaluation process to select scholarship recipients from a pool of at-risk women working on their college educations. We are looking at the decisions they’ve made so far, and working on our own decisions regarding the future of those that are chosen. New Beginnings.

And I woke up this morning! New Beginnings.

I believe New Beginnings come in many shapes and sizes. Some are planned. Some are thrust upon us. Some are epiphanies. Some come easily. Some take time. Some are dreaded. Some are created. Some we embrace. Some we resist. Some require that we let go. Some require that we hold on. Some bring us into the light. Some take us into the darkness.

New Beginnings can be joyful, anxious, exhilarating, apprehensive, painful, refreshing, frightening, delightful.

I believe everyone has New Beginnings. Maybe it’s a new life direction, maybe a company purchase, merger or restructuring, maybe it’s a dying friend, or finally buying that new red convertible! Maybe it’s a time to hold your tongue, or time to speak out, maybe it’s forgiving yourself or someone else, or learning to listen, or allowing yourself to really enjoy your life.

Regardless of whether new beginnings are welcome or unwelcome, greeting them with an open mind and an open heart provides growth for us as human beings. Embracing new beginnings is a gift we give ourselves. We find new levels of courage inside. We allow ourselves to peel back layers and move closer to our authenticity. Compassion for ourselves and others grows.

I believe in embracing New Beginnings. As Mark Twain once said, “Why not go out on a limb? That’s where all the fruit is.”