Adria - Cave Creek, Arizona

Has anyone ever told you that hard work and dedication pays off? I have seen this in action. I have been on the Varsity Cactus Shadows cheer team for the past four years, and that team is the epitome of hard work and dedication.

Every morning for the past four years I would wake up at 5:30 so I could be at practice by 5:45. We would practice for an hour and a half those mornings in order to perfect our routine, and every Wednesday after school we would practice our routine at Desert Storm Elite a high-end cheer gym for an hour and a half.

28 girls would be at every practice every morning and every Wednesday afternoon. We would be working for that hour and a half to perfect something that was only 2 minutes and 30 seconds long. Everyone was working for something that if they did horrible it wouldn’t matter to anyone else; it mattered to us and we cared about how well we did.

We had to be in great physical and mental condition. Making sure we are able to complete a routine and not be worn out; every morning we would run. After a bad performance early on in the year we weren’t allowed to run by ourselves anymore. It used to be that when we got to practice in the morning we would run a lap around the parking lot by our self. After that bad performance we ran together, to show unity as a team that worked for one common goal. For 4 minutes we would run together in place, it sounds like an easy task but it wasn’t.

Our hard work did pay off. We have won the state title four times out of the past five years. Winning two back to back state championships is not an easy thing to do. After loosing our state title my sophomore year we realized that we had to put that much more work into our routine.

2 minutes and 30 seconds is how long our routine is. We have only that small amount of time to prove to the judges that we are the best team out there. By working every day for at least an hour and half really helps us. We all decided to dedicate ourselves to working for the same goal in the end we proved that hard work and dedication really does pay off.