Tyler - Allen, Texas

I am here. The world is my stage. The story is my life. I am struggling to portray myself. I am here to provoke thought. I am here to follow my director, for He is always watching. I am here to make an impression on others. I never leave the stage.

I am an actor and I am always here.

Being “here” does not allude to a geographical location but rather a state of being; a setting or mode in which I have, over time, descended into. It represents a personality trait that is evidently common among most actors. It is a characteristic that keeps me going; it keeps me prepared for the unexpected. As long as I’m alive, I am ready; I am “on”; I am here.

The awareness I have of this quality signifies a choice that was made at some point in my life. This choice was to pursue this new aspect of being “here” and creatively mold it into my personality. And whether it is argued as a natural talent or a learned skill, it is a conflicting quality due to its façade-like motives. Being “here” can be interpreted as just another performance by another performer, when in fact, I, the actor, am simply putting effort into portraying myself. Consequently, I do this with considerable traces of what I know best: a stage performance.

Through training, experience, spotlights, and applauses, I receive and embrace this characteristic for it does not seem optional. Those who choose to reject the idea of being “here” are unsurprisingly unsuccessful. Also, unfortunately for me, this mask I have voluntarily situated over my exterior-self can never be removed; dramatic representations will dominate my life. This realization reveals a sort of curse behind this idea.

Being “here” has become a life principle for me; it reduces fear, provides poise, and intensely expresses myself. It gives exciting motivation throughout my daily life. And until my light goes dark, I will continue to perform. For I am an actor and I am here.