Launi - Florence, Kentucky
Themes: change, hope, illness

For the longest time I referred to Amy as my youth pastor’s wife, however, now I see her as Amy. I see her as a person, a human being; someone with flaws, struggles and unavoidable circumstances in life but deals with them the best way she knows how, by being positive. I started seeing Amy differently when I realized we shared a struggle with depression. Amy’s struggle, like mine, was during her teenage years; however, she is just seven years older than me so her struggle was not that long ago. Instead of thinking that I just dealt with “teenage” problems, like other adults did, Amy understood that my struggle went beyond teenage angst.

If I oversleep it is alright because I need the extra sleep. If it is cold outside that is okay because that means I can wear my warmest sweater, which is also my favorite. I believe in looking for the positive in every situation. Sometimes it would be easier or make more sense to admit that there is a problem or something is wrong, but looking for the positive helps me realize that everything will be okay even if it does not happen the way I plan. I wish I could claim this epiphany but I was introduced to this idea by Amy.

By practicing being positive, I overcame my depression and gained something valueable – hope. Overcoming depression was a process. Each random positive that I found during the day were like small treasures. Looking for the positive in every situation soon became a habit and eventually I realized it had been a long time since I dwelled on anything negative; however, I was not surprised. I realized that there was hope all along; it just took a positive influence to encourage me to discover this realization for myself.

Before, I thought of my depression as a weakness, but now, I realize it has made me stronger. It was my embarrassing secret, now it is the story of how I became who I am. I share my story with others, not to receive pity because there were endless days during my depression when I harbored enough pity for myself to last a lifetime, but to let them know there is hope. Before, my depression was like a disease, but now, I appreciate the struggle I endured to realize the power of being positive and the hope that it brings.

This is my senior year but instead of going through it depressed, it truly is the time of my life. I have a lot of decisions to make, which can be frightening at times, but I know everything will work out. My past has helped me gain confidence for my future. My positive attitude has given me a new outlook and zeal for life. Hebrews 10:23 defines hope as assurance, not just wishful thinking. Now, I believe in hope. Hope is priceless and this I believe.