Julie - Bristol, Connecticut
Themes: family, gratitude

I am 18 years old; I am healthy and have a great life. I have two siblings, a younger brother and a younger sister. I live with my mother, father, brother, sister, and my mother’s mother “Grammy.” Grammy is where it all starts. My grandma started living with us right after I was born and my grandfather pasted away. I was always told I was the reason she is still here today. My parents and Grammy always tell me how helpful I was just being a baby because everyone smiled when I was around they said it was the hardest thing to go through but because I was there it made it so much easier. Grammy was always so exciting, she used to travel a lot and when she would come home she always had the coolest pictures, magnets, and trinkets. Grammy used to treat me like a princess, when I was done taking my bath she would gladly blow dry and comb my hair for me. To sit in Grammy’s room and watch jeopardy or the wheel of fortune on TV in her big bed was the best! Grandma was always the one to be around; she always had the best snacks, gave the greatest presents, and always had treats for you.

The down side is that I am older now, meaning Grammy is older too. She has had a hip replaced; she is always achy and usually uncomfortable. Grammy still lives with us, but her joy and excitement isn’t the same as it used to be. She barely travels now because it’s so hard. I remember all of these great times we have had, and all the neat things she used to tell me. But the sad thing is Grammy doesn’t remember all those things so well. Grammy used to tell me “I can’t wait for you to grow up; I can’t wait to see what a beautiful young lady you become.” I am grown up now, and she tells me that I am beautiful, but she doesn’t remember how she couldn’t wait to see me grow up. Grammy used to help me all the time, tie my shoes, helped me with laundry and cleaning my room. Well now, I help Grammy, I help her look for her keys that she has misplaced, I do her laundry, I go and run errands for her when she is to tired to do them herself. Grammy is getting older, she is getting wiser but she is forgetting the little things, although she still loves me, and my brother and sister. It makes me sad that Grammy doesn’t remember that Mondays are trash days, that my boyfriend’s name is Ryan, that I go to work after school, that I have 2 jobs, to take my sister to practice, or appointments and times, birthdays and specially events. But Grammy does remember our names, how old we are, she knows what we like to do, and she knows what we are good at. Grammy remembers some of our greatest experiences like when we went to Florida as a family; she just doesn’t remember all the details of the trip anymore. I will never forget my grandmother, and I am so happy she is here with us today, hopefully she will still be here when I get married, I just wish she wasn’t so achy and in pain. I wished life could be easier for her and she didn’t have to write everything down, I love my grandmother and I love that we are still making memories, memories I will always take with me even though I’m not sure if she does. I wished she never forgot anything, but it’s the way of life, that is why I believe never take a second for granted, because you might miss it or even worse forget it. By never wasting a moment, you never waste a chance to make a great memory.