Ngoc Grace - Scottsdale, Arizona
Themes: family, immigrant

Have your ever taken a minute in your busy daily life to sit down and think about your family and its role in your life? I have started doing this sometimes, and I find out there is nothing in the world that is more meaningful or more important for me than my family. Everything I have gotten in my life so far is all based on the word “family”.

I have been educated so strictly by my family since I was a little child. My parents took so much care of me. I sometimes did not like it, and it really bothered me. They were very strict to me in everything I did. The only entertainment I had at home was our fourteen-inch television. My Dad allowed me to watch the children’s television shows for forty five minutes after dinner every night. After that, I had to go study in my own room. He was a professor at the university in Viet Nam, so he also became my tutor in science subjects for a while. I have always tried to study the best I could to avoid getting bad grades. My Mom was the person that taught me how to believe in God. My faith in God is growing day by day. My parents believe a good education is very important and wanted me to be disciplined in my education during my childhood. All of my character, personality and habits are all based on my family and its strict living environment.

My parents are now not strict to me any more. I always remember what my Dad told me before I left home for the United Sates. He said, “Your Mom and I will not be able to be with you as we were, so you have to know how to take care of yourself. We have kept you in this house for such a long time. It is now the right time for you to go out and see the world.” Despite his words, they are still watching my steps every single day. I talk to my Mom three times a week, and I am used to telling her and my Dad about my life here. Since I first came to American, I was so stressful and shocked. My Mom encouraged me so much. She said she believed that I would be able to cope with my own life. She always reminds me there is no easier ways to reach a success other than facing with difficulties of life. Sometimes I just wanted to give up everything and went back to live a peaceful life with my parents as I did. My parents told me that our family would be reunified in a better day when I am successful. Their pieces of advice have made me more determined to keep going. I can now live by my own and make the right decisions for myself.

I have learned a lot from my family. What they have been teaching me will never be meaningless. The education my parents gave me was so strict, but I have gained a lot from it. I am so thankful for my parents because I was born by them and became a member of their family. I trust my parents all the times, and they also trust me. Seventeen years which I was living under their care were sometimes really hard time for me, but I was inured a lot during my childhood. I now have to cope with my life by myself, but I am not fearful anymore. My family gives me more strength whenever I think of it. Every decision of mine is now made because of my family.

My family was the foundation for me since I was a child. Everyone needs a person who can give them an encouragement to keep going, and my family is the one that always do that for me. I did not really have a fun childhood like my peers, but I have never regretted about it. I am sure that my family raised me in the strict environment because they knew what would be the best thing for my future. My character was shaped by my parents’ strict education. The power of my family has made me become the kind of person I am today.