Kyle - Cave Creek, Arizona

When was the last time you or someone you met, followed the Golden Rule? I bet it has been a while in this world we live in today that someone went out of their way to help you or you help them out and spend a little extra time being courtesy, instead of being the guy that’s looking out for number one. The thing I believe in most is respect among us all. I believe that if their was more of us that showed respect to one another their would be less people wanting to rip each others heads off. It seems so hard for most of us today to just say “thank you” to each other or “you’re welcome.” It was just today I held the door open to a store for three people and not a one of them ever said thank you, kiss my butt or nothing. I’m eight-teen years old and I’m the one holding the door open for holder men and women, who back in their day everyone was polite.

My parents raised me to treat everyone equal and even if you don’t like somebody, it gives you no right to disrespect them. I was taught the golden rule all my life, “Treat others the same as you would want them to treat you.” I believe that if an eight-teen year old that’s been respectful all his life can still remain respectful, older men and woman should to. Don’t get me wrong now; it’s not just all the older people that are rude. My high school years are where I saw most of my friends talk to their parents. If I had a dollar for each time I heard my friends tell their parents to (four letter word that starts with f) off; I would be a rich person by now. If I ever told my parents that I would be back handed and kicked out of the house and never allowed to return. It wasn’t child abuse, it was discipline, and it’s what taught me right from wrong and learned respect.

I believe that if we all change our self-centered views on life and people we will all get along and help each other a lot more. I believe in respect among all, because until we really get to know the person and find out they don’t deserve respect; only then can we lack respect to anyone. I believe that kids should respect their elders and the elders then have no reason not to respect them. Respect the Golden Rule.