Eric - Cave Creek, Arizona

“The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask.” This is a quote by Jim Morrison, and it has brought to me many moments of truth.

Everybody tries too hard to become something they are not meant to be. If somebody you admire is acting a particular way, its alright if they bring a little change to your life. It should not give you the right to try and copy. People should do the things they want to do, and act the way they want to act, as the way they were made. The good lord put each and every one of us on this planet a certain way. If I were meant to be him, then that is who I would have been made to be. Even though he made some of us insecure. That does not mean I have to change into everybody around me. If we stay the same as we are, we will become confident and loose those insecurities.

I have always relatively been the shy kid. I did not want people to loose respect for me over something dumb that I did. I could not be the one that everybody would disagree with.

Later on in my life, a few different things changed that. There have been some bad things I have done, that many frown upon, but in reality have helped me along. It was once I started these habits, that I stopped thinking before I spoke. Now of course, it has also made me say a few dumb things, but that is beside the point. Once I had begun speaking freely and having a good time, it really did not matter what I would say. They would either agree or disagree and that is just the way it is. I stopped worrying about what others thought, or how they act, because I would then be the person I did not like on the other side.

My outlook on life had completely changed. I now realize that life is what you make of it. Speak when you want to speak, do what you want to do, and always stay open minded. People will think, but time will pass. I will never waste my time worrying about what other people have against me. That is enough, in its own, to drive a man insane. Soon I will be somewhere else, and when I am, there will still be somebody by my side. These will be my true friends that love me for who and what I truly am.

The people that worry and try too hard to keep their “Image” are foreseen. Everybody knows who they really are and what they are trying to accomplish. It is because of this that they actually become less respected. It is quite ironic if you think about it.

I believe that life is what you make of it. Not what other make of you. Speak when you want to speak, do what you want to do, and always stay open minded. When you live your life the way you want. You will then be treated with the respect you deserve.