Coral - Phoenix, Arizona

This I Believe…

Life brings challenges that obstacles that you must overcome in order to become and show who you really are. It’s as if life is testing you on your ability to make and use your right judgement. We always expect things to be perfect and everything to be handed to use but that would make us boring and characterless. Even if you make the wrong decision, there’s always a way to overcome it even if it’s a little tougher. In the end, you will become something that no one else is. Your own character and personality. Those obstacles that have passed made us who we are now.

All my life I’ve been moving from place to place. I’ve lived in six places, have lost close friends, and have gone to many different schools. After a while I became mad at my parents. Blaming them for all the trouble I was going through without realizing it wasn’t their choice to move and they were also having as much of a hard time as I was. I started making wrong decisions as my own way of rebelling and showing my parents how angry I was. I wasn’t being myself and my parents realized it. As any parent would do, my privileges and freedom got taken away. I told them it was all their fault but I was just burdening them with my own problems. It was then that I realized how much I had that my parents gave me and wasn’t showing gratitude towards my parents specially with how hard they’ve had to work and sacrifice to get it. At first I thought I had messed up to bad and there was no way of taking it back and there really isn’t. Then I came to understand that by talking to them more and helping them out would slowly make things better and hopefully, gain some trust back from them. Since then, I’ve felt that I have shown my true self. I learned that just because there’s a crack on the floor doesn’t mean it can’t be fixed. It’s your choice if you want to improve it or not. Both, for yourself and others around you.

Life will always come with headaches and stumbles. But there’s also a lot of good in it. Even in the bad. Don’t avoid them or blame others. That will only make you a failure. Overcome them and learn from them no matter how hard it seems. They will always make you stronger. Make the best of it because I believe that those challenges make you who you truly are.