Tayler - cave creek, Arizona

I Believe…

When I was younger and heard the word hero, I thought of a muscular, strong man who could lift cars and fly. I always felt that in order for someone to be a hero they had to fight villains and have all sorts of super powers. I never realized that my biggest hero would be my mother, she didn’t have x-ray vision, nor could she toss a car across a football field. What she did do, though, was raise three girls by herself and defeat breast cancer.

My mother and father split when I was about eight, which made a lot of things complicated for me. I didn’t really understand why my dad didn’t live with us anymore and why my mom was struggling so much to put food on the table each night. Even though I would over hear my mother talking about how close we were to losing our house and how hard it was for her to find food for us to eat each night, I could still look into her eyes and find comfort. I would know that as long as I was with her that she would take care of me. Her first priority was to always make sure that her three daughters were safe and healthy. She seemed to always put us over her, and she was never selfish or chose herself over us.

Then as soon as money started to become not so tight and life became a little easier, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. For the first time I saw my mom weak and fragile. She could hardly stand on her own and had tubes and IV’s stuck in her body, but in her eyes she was still strong. I still felt very safe with her because I knew that she had enough power inside of her to fight any disease. We all had our struggles through her cancer and chemo treatment but we stuck together as a family and pulled through.

So, Superman and Spiderman don’t hold the bar very high compared to my mother. She has really accomplished and gone through much more then anyone I have ever known. No, she hasn’t rescued multiple people from a burning building, or caught a women falling from a 10 story building, but she did do enough to be labeled as a hero in my eyes. I believe that my mother is my hero.