Samantha - middletown, Connecticut

“Waitressing Is Not Just a Job It Is a Scary Attitude”

Working as a waitress is a good job. You make a lot of money for the amount of hours you work. You also have fun in a more casual work environment. Unfortunately, you depend on the good sense of your customers to tip you according to a percentage scale everyone should know. When I started waitressing at age eighteen, I was full of excitement and I believed that this job was great. Now, fifteen years later, I am jaded and filled with contempt. When customers walk in the door, myself and the other servers are begging to God “please not me” because of how they look; their clothes, hairstyle, nationality. Now you see dollar signs with every table you get, “Oh no, they aren’t speaking English, that’s a ten percent tip, if I’m lucky.” “Oh no, he has gold teeth- bad tip.” Most of the time (ninety percent), we are right about the people that walk in the door. I was never this judgmental in my entire life until this job. This is the reason why I have decided not to continue this as my career, watching the evil old bags constantly complaining and treating everyone around them with a bad attitude. Talking about people behind their backs and acting like twelve year olds. Even twelve year old children probably know how to act better than this. Acting like a bitch is contagious.

So, finally at the ripe old age of thirty-one, I decided to continue my education as a biology teacher, and since I already know that I act like a high schooler, I figured I can relate well to the kids. If nothing else, waitressing has shown me my weaknesses and I have decided to change them. So learning from experience and changing yourself to be a better person is possible, this I believe.