Ryan - Dallas, Texas

The day I entered this world up until now, my life goal has always revolved around being number one. Whether it was in sports, or religion, I always want to be regarded as the best no matter what I am doing. Although there is no clear cut number one son in the country or Christian in the church, I have a competitive nature that makes my self discipline help eliminate my faults and become a stronger person.

As a Christian I find myself in a daily struggle with the lord because I, like many others am very selfish when it comes to morals and my decision making. It’s very easy to screw up when nobody is looking but it kills your integrity as a person because you always know the true you and guilt is the worst feeling. The most hypocritical thing as a Christian is taking advantage of Jesus by asking for forgiveness and then making the same mistake knowingly. I often times find my self falling into earthly temptations which pull me further away form my faith which is very easy to do with all the distractions that lay around us. When I am struggling with my decision making in particular whether it be lust or drinking, I make a promise with myself that every time I make the mistake, I draw a cross on my family calendar on the particular date. I hate losing to temptation more than anything in the world. It also brings embarrassment because people will ask me what the cross stands for and I have to explain to them that I lost to myself and failed to say no to some of the things I think matter to me.

I will never forget checking the list in seventh grade debating if I was on the “A” team or “B” team, and soon realizing that I had been over looked in my opinion and cut from the school team in general. Since that day I have never thought twice about working harder than anyone to be the best athlete I could be. As a competitive person I can confidently say that I have won over 90% of all athletic events that I have participated in and winning is addicting for me and a habit which in nice. I love being number one because then the only thing you can strive for it competing with yourself and making yourself better which separates you even further from the ones behind you and makes the number one spot look that much more unattainable.

Going to college and taking that next step in my athletic career builds my question marks of how much can I attain or what will I accomplish and as an athlete I will work my whole life for the shot to win the national championship in lacrosse. Everyday I take the next step to becoming the best athlete or the member in society that others call a roll model. The sky is the limit in my life and this is why I believe that winning is everything.