Brian - Ventura, California

When was the last time you were told, “Do well in school and you will succeed”? Well, for most of you, it was just last week. Like me, I am sure that you have been told this from the time you entered kindergarten. Although, it is important to do well in school, it does not guarantee success in life.

I feel that a person can fail every class in school and still become a very successful person. There are people who do not do well in school. They should not be ridiculed, nor should people assume that they would be a failure in life. In elementary and middle school, I did not get the best grades, but I still succeeded in graduating eighth grade and going on to a very academically challenging high school.

In school, there was always that one student who did not pay attention or do any of their homework. However, when it came to the test, they always passed. It was as if they had the textbook right in front of them. In elementary school, there was a boy was just like that. He would read all day and never pay attention in class, but when it came to the test, he passed every time. From the time that I was in the first grade, I wanted to be one of those students. It would have made school much more enjoyable. I would never have to pay attention or worry about missing something.

A person can do all of their work, pay attention in class and still not do well on the test. A person can fail a test, but still know everything about that subject and when asked, they are able to explain it. I am one of those people. I am the person who studies all night, but when it comes to actually taking the test, I cannot seem to get what I know down on paper. It is frustrating, because when you receive your grade on the test, it does not reflect your true knowledge

A person can still be a success in life without ever getting an “A” in school. Although an education is important, a person does not have to kill themselves to get that “A”. Receiving an “A” in every class, does not guarantee that life will be easier. Many people who have graduated from college with all “As” have trouble later on because they never experienced the hardships of life. My cousin graduated from high school with honors and received a full ride scholarship to college. Unfortunately, she has not experienced everyday life outside of school. She never had to work while she was going to school and never had to learn how to manage both her time and money. Although she was successful in school, she is not successful and independent in her everyday life. Therefore, I believe and will continue to believe, that a person’s grades in school do not reflect that person’s true potential in life.