Stephanie - Fort Mill, South Carolina

Yo quiero Taco Bell!

I went through high school thinking fast food restaurants are not very hard places to work and the people, who work there, were lazy, no good, illegal immigrants that could barely speak English. I told myself I would never work in fast food. Boy was I proven wrong. My senior year of high school I had to get a job, one with flexible hours and I mean very flexible hours because I was in marching band, basketball, and softball. Well I put in a few applications and did not hear back from any of the places. One day my father said a Taco Bell/Long John Silvers is opening up and they were looking for employees, so to my dismay I drove myself down to the walk-in interviews they were doing at the recreational center and I got a job there. I was not looking forward to my first day on the job. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. I learned how much pressure is actually placed on a fast food restaurant. Window time has to be under a minute, and for dine in orders there is a certain time. Also not to mention every little rule that has to be followed in order to have great sanitation scores and food safety. Customer service is another major pressure. You try being nice to someone who is being rude. I got to now my coworkers, who were some pretty nice people to work with, and found out they are just trying to make a living. And illegal immigrants do not exist in the fast food world. They have to have some kind of credentials saying they are here legally and there are very few Hispanics that do not understand English. They may have a hard time expressing themselves in English but they understand. Overall, I believe that every American should have to work at least one year in fast food to fully understand how much pressure is actually placed on someone in that job. I hope that will lead people to be a little more considerate instead of getting in a huff because the person working the cash register does not know why a bean burrito is 99 cents at one store but at another store in a different county is 89 cents and someone will not dump their food all over the counter because their order is wrong.