James - Manchester, Missouri

The ever emerging theme of society conforming to the theory that intelligence is formed only by spending seemingly endless hours under the direction and supervision of trained and certified teachers has become more apparent than ever. Although this may seem like the appropriate way of building foundation for this nation’s growing youth, I have a theory of my own. One, that in my mind, fulfills everyone’s needs and wants and could even enhance the brains of generations to come.

I believe real intelligence, not unlike wisdom, associates with experience and experiencing change. As a plus, learning in real classrooms may develop discipline, good work ethic, and the basic facts we need to know to get through like, but weighing a lot stronger is that maybe our schools don’t spend enough time motivating and teaching kids about the things they show true passion for. Instead of dozing through yet another class teacher confusing arithmetic problems never to be used again, let the students choose to take a more beneficial math class and a class they would actually enjoy coming too. For example; in my algebra 2/ trigonometry class last year I had trouble focusing and therefore found myself sleeping through most of the class. One day, after asking my dad, an accountant, if I would ever use cosines, tangents, and many other confusing terms ever again, and he said “It is very unlikely.” Rather then having to bare through that painful experience I would’ve much rather had been in some sort of music class, learning about what I hope to go into someday. I understand that we have electives, but the fact of the matter is, the space provided just isn’t cutting it. In these core classes that we are required to take, I also notice that there is a very constricting time constraint that teachers provide for students to complete work. In my situation, what good is there flying through material in a class where I am already struggling keep up in. It seems like the entire system actually revolves around meeting national deadlines rather then actually ensuring the student understanding of what their learning. To elaborate, it is almost like every time my creativity and imagination is about to break barriers…a deadline appears, and in effect, have to rush through the assignment. In reality, the cause for this lack of cooperation and progression can be traced to this world increasing concern for time.

The human race has almost completely forgotten about the real definition of happiness and turned their focus to the phrase “time equals money”. The one thing left that seems to motivate people in today’s society, being money, seems to have developed into a much stronger force in most humans drive to be happy, rather than pursuing happiness through doing things they actually love. Is it just a coincidence that humans constantly question what aspect of happiness changed from their childhood until now but continue to work 8 to 6 daily, leaving very sparse time for any other activities. This can be traced partly back to the system that our nation provides, which emphasizes a work now, enjoy life later philosophy. Usually by the time “later” does come, we are too old or too exhausted to find time for the things that once gave us the feeling of passion. I choose to avoid this route, granted I will work hard, and I will go to college, but I will never force myself to a point where I lose the things I love. For once that’s gone, is there really anything left?

Forgetting to just once in a while stop, breathe, and go with your heart decision will ultimately bring this Earth to her knees. As the number of zeros increase to the left of the decimal on paychecks the human race appreciation for life will unnoticeably decrease without anyone connecting the two until it’s too late. This feat is not impossible for I promise you that there is time. If you had the time to listen to me for this long then I know you have got the time to listen to yourself. Is this really where you want to be in life?