chy - mitchellivlle, Maryland

I believe in giving. Like the bible says; it is more blessed to give than to receive. I believe that giving my time and money could make a great difference in the world. Giving to the less privileged or the down trodden is like giving to God indirectly and in the due time and season God will pay me back.

When I was in high school in Nigeria, my mother taught me that I could get a lot of things by simply investing in people’s life. She taught me the need to give my best to God and people around me. One day on my way from school, I overheard some students wishing my school security guard a happy birthday, so I decided to implement what my mother taught me by giving him a birthday card the next day. After eight years, I met this wonderful guy that just came back from the United State. In the cause of our dating, he invited me to his new house for dinner. When I got to his house, I saw an old man who he introduced to me as his father, the old man looked at me and screamed. Low and behold the old man was the same school security guard that I gave a birthday card. The old man told his son how I made his day on that day and that made his son and I to be closer and later got married.

There is an unquantifiable joy in giving. This kind of joy comes from seeing how my giving uplifts others. Giving is like sowing a seed in spring and diligently watering it in other to get a good harvest. The principle of giving is being practiced by farmers. For example, during harvest time, a good farmer selects his best crops and stores it for the next planting season. If the farmer did not do that or if the farmer ate all his crops, then he cannot be able to plant anything during the planting season and that could lead to poverty.

In this regards, giving my time and money to God and the less privileged is like sowing a good seed in spring and waiting for my time of harvest to come.