Samantha - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: pleasure

I believe that people should have fun in their life. The sound of a friend’s laughter makes me feel warm inside. Knowing that I can enlighten my friend helps me yearn for the next day. To me, laughter is a way of showing that my friends are being themselves. So when my friends laugh, I realize that they aren’t pretending to be another person; they are fulfilling their true character.

School may be all about learning, but it is also a great opportunity for having fun. Math can be extremely boring sometimes, especially AP Calculus BC. Our teacher, Mr. Heiser, tries to make it interesting every now and then. However, sometimes we make it interesting for him. Mr. Heiser was teaching us a section of math and no one was paying attention. We were so ready to leave class; furthermore it was the second to last week of our high school career. One of the guys in my class thought it would be funny if everyone in the class threw paper balls at Heiser. So secretly, we all crumpled up little balls of paper and plotted to throw them at the same exact time.

Mr. Heiser is just about to begin writing math notes on the whiteboard when sixteen paper balls came flying at him from all directions. He stood there for a couple of seconds, and then he finally rotated his body to face the class. Mr. Heiser had a huge grin across on his face. Every student could tell that he was holding back his urge to laugh. Within seconds, the whole classroom was echoing with giggles. However, Mr. Heiser still hadn’t contributed to the noise.

The guy that plotted the whole scheme kept chucking paper balls at Heiser. All of sudden, our teacher put down the marker and walked over to his cabinet. The class became very still because we thought we were going to get referrals. To our surprise, Heiser turned around with two squishy balls in his hands. Heiser then threw them at us and everyone was ducking for cover. We were throwing them back at Heiser and this went on for a couple of minutes. Then we simmered down and began taking notes.

It is the little things in life that make us happy. All what our class needed was some fun. These moments may only last for an instance but they are remembered for a lifetime. There is not a day that goes by without a fond memory of laughter. Every night I fall asleep surrounded by pictures of my friends, family and me. Each captured moment holds an affectionate memory of my past. The future is full of memorable moments ready to be made through a simple emotion, laughter. And when I wake up in the morning, my first thought is who do I get to take the picture-perfect, fun-filled memory with today?