Hailey - Arizona

This I Believe…

I believe that I always have a choice. It doesn’t matter what the situation is, I will always have a choice. “When you have to make a choice and you don’t make it, that itself is a choice,” (James, William). Everyday, we make choices, which lead us down different paths of our life. “It’s choice – not chance – that determines your destiny” (Nidetch, Jean).

During high school, most teenagers have to make the toughest decisions that could possibly affect the rest of our lives. Everywhere they go they are constantly fighting the internal battle of making right choice. This is the time when teens get involved in drugs and alcohol, and peer pressure is extremely manipulating. Not too long ago, I was hanging out with a few of my friends at someone’s house. His parents weren’t home, so you could imagine the type of setting. We were getting together in his backyard. I arrived after everyone else had already gotten there. There were only a few of us there, however some of the kids were consuming alcohol beverages and playing drinking games.

I was a little uneasy at first, because I was uncomfortable with this atmosphere. After a few rounds of drinking games, I was given the choice to take a drink. Naturally I refused, drinking is just not my cup of tea. That night, I made an important decision against alcohol. However, what I realized was, I could have fun and play along with my friends without consuming alcoholic beverages. I made the right decision to stay clear from alcohol, yet I was still able to hang out with my friends.

I have been raised to make right choices to the best of my ability, no matter what the scenario might be. Phrases like “Say no to drugs and drinking” have been burned in my mind throughout my childhood. Therefore, that night it was my natural instinct was to turn down drinking. I will have many more choices to make in my life and with my strong beliefs; I know that each decision I make will be my best decision.