Demetria - Phoenix, Arizona

A Way of Life

I am thankful that everyday when the sun rises from the horizon in the east a new day begins. When the beam that withholds life’s precious supply awakens every breathing organism, like a child waking up in his or her mothers warm embrace. The sun, known as Father Sun, supports nature, nature nurtures life, life brings purpose. Purpose is what every human or living creature has in its soul. In addition, the ground is like an unbreakable, shatterproof glass. When one is standing upon it they can see through it, in consequence like a fourth dimension. The see through glass is a foundation for every single step that is taken by one person. Without each step one will never see, accomplishing life’s ups and downs. I believe that the sun’s shining nourishment onto Mother Nature holds us on our very feet so each day one can fulfill their purpose.

The Navajo traditional ways are always based on one phrase, but said four times. “Walk in Beauty, Walk in Beauty, Walk in Beauty, Walk in Beauty.” In my heart I do live with this phrase. I live with every living substance, creature, responsibility and most of all nature. Nature lies in everybody and is very beautiful. Beautiful is unexplainable; it is like nirvana for the passionate. Today few people do not see what we have. All around us is nothing but emptiness; we need to open our eyes. I ponder about what we have and what we can do with our foundation of life. I live in beauty. I bundle in its wrath of nature. I use all of my senses humanly possible to feel its presence in my everyday ways. I touch my soul with Mother Nature’s superior embrace. I am one with nature and its beauty that never seems to die, or let go. Nature’s beauty has me in a spiritually involved life.

My traditional Navajo heritage, taught by my grandparents and father, has followed me throughout my teenage life and will always be present in my future. I grew up with a simple, yet comprehensive way of living. I do believe that nature creates a soul, within that soul is beauty, and with that beauty blooms an amazement of passion, love and purpose.