Adam - Phoenix, Arizona

I believe that someone improves with experience rather than education. I believe that oftentimes schooling does not prepare a child for what’s to come. I believe that I can perform better than a hotshot college grad in any particular field.

My father and I discussed this quite some time ago now and he adamantly disagreed with my notion. He said, “Do you think I would ever be able to…” he then went on a rant about how he had to carry out complex tasks on a daily basis. My dad then said, “Now, do you think I could do all those things without any schooling?” And I responded, “Absolutely!” How could this be possible? It’s customary for aspiring engineers and dentists to receive their respective degrees before going out into the job market. I believe that I most certainly could do what they are doing and do it just as well.

Experience is the key, not books and senseless lectures. Now, obviously a person should exhibit a motivational drive to learn new things and to carry them out with precision but don’t universities teach us to do that? No, unfortunately they don’t. What you do learn how to do is work on end without reason. Example: A computer graphics programmer coming off of years of college education bags a job at a Hollywood productions studio. Does this programmer know everything immediately or does someone kind of have to show him the ropes to get him started? Of course schooling can help in a way. Schooling can force you to grow up, make you broke, and steal the enthusiasm for what you do.

Listening to an employer or colleague about how to operate a piece of equipment or properly put together a report is simple enough with much practice, is it not? Why must I learn about atomic and ion radiation numbers when all I do is dish out prescriptions for certain illnesses? Unnecessary knowledge acquired is useless to a person’s future benefits except maybe during a trivia game. Working over time and learning new things each day makes a better employee.

Naturally, one requires an impressive set of credentials to first have even the slight opportunity of finding a well paying job after graduation. And certainly one can’t shrug this off as immaterial. But I stick to what I believe and this I believe.