Spencer - Phoenix, Arizona

Throughout my life there is one word that has been beaten into my head, day in and day out. My dad spoke of it; my coaches spoke of it; and my grandparents spoke about it. That word is dedication. Webster’s Dictionary defines as a devoting or setting aside for a particular purpose. However, to me, dedication means so much more. In order to be successful, dedication is needed in every aspect of my life. One very important area where dedication is needed most is with the family. When people think of family devotion, they often think of the devotion the husband and wife have to each other, however there is so much more involved. Siblings are dedicated to each other, always watching out for one another. Although siblings often have a strange way of showing it, in their own way, they just want what is best for one another. Most obvious to a child is the dedication parents have for their children.

Watching my parent’s dedication to my sister’s and I is where I have learned my passion for dedication. My parents have done everything that they can to ensure that their three children have an enjoyable and prosperous childhood. Often working late nights and weekends to make ends meet, they could never do enough for us. Then, on top of all of that, they would not hesitate to accompany me to every out of state tournament that I went to. They are the loudest spectators at every single one of my games and regardless of how many fans attend, I can always pick my mom’s encouraging voice out of the crowd.

I take what I have learned from my parents, and try to instill it into my everyday life. Through their teachings, I have learned to put 100% into everything that I do. Slacking is not an ingredient for success in any recipe that I have ever seen, so I put my all into everything that I do. And that includes the small things, such as the repetitive practices that I attend three times per week. I feel that this perseverance has driven me to abilities that I otherwise never would have had. This lesson has also assisted me in the classroom as well, where dedication has allowed me to reach new heights in my academic endeavors. No matter how long, tedious, or difficult an important assignment is, I have always done my best to complete it to the best of my ability. This assisted me in maintaining a respectable grade point average, as well as enabled me to attend the college of my dreams; the University of California, Irvine.

With high school coming to an end and me opening a new chapter in my life, I plan to carry my strong belief in dedication to college with me. I will dedicate myself to receiving good grades in the very challenging classes that I will be attending. I will dedicate myself to being the best athlete that I can be as I compete on the soccer team. And most of all, I will dedicate myself to keeping in touch with my friends and family that are back in Arizona. That is what I believe.