Stephanie - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: love

I believe love is the strongest force in the universe. Without love, people cannot function, express themselves, or be content. Throughout the course of my life, I have learned love makes or breaks people. The song “Needle and Thread” by Sleeping at Last, describes it perfectly; stating, “We are made of love, and all the beauty stemming from it. We are made of love, and every fracture caused by the lack of it.”

Our souls long for love, for a place to belong, to be connected. Our souls long for God. Love is proof of God. Something that I struggle with all the time is loving unconditionally. When you’re angry or upset or just in a bad mood, it’s hard to love others. When someone is annoying the crap out of you, how can you truly love them? A lot of times we forget to show people that we love them. Or just don’t know how.

I was walking in to church one day to pick up my packet for band practice and these three little kids were there. The little girl came up to me and exclaimed, “Hi you’re pretty!” It caught me off guard, since I was in a bad that day. They followed me around and they were so excited when we went into the office because there was goldfish and candy in there. I told them to help themselves and when I had to leave they were shouting “Goodbye! I love you!!!” It was precious. I look up to little kids. They are so trusting and love everyone freely and simply, without conditions. Maybe you’re thinking little kids are ignorant to the world, and you’re right. But sometimes I think we’ve lost that. We’ve been so burned so many times we don’t know how to love anymore or worse yet, don’t want to. We don’t want to be susceptible to pain, or rejection. But our souls crave love, we need it to survive. In the book Soul Cravings, Erwin McManus writes: “When it comes to love, often we are our own worst enemies. When we’ve been hurt in the past, when we feel that love has betrayed us, we can easily become the enemies of love. To see if it’s real, we do everything we can to destroy it. We tell ourselves we’re testing it, but actually we’re resisting it.” The world has twisted our perception on love, giving it certain expectations, requirements, conditions. Our souls crave for real, true love, but because of how we’ve displaced it, we don’t know what true love is. And yet, our souls so passionately search and long for this real love that we’ll do almost anything to find it. But how can we find it if we’re not passionately searching for God? God and love are the same thing, plain and simple.

We have to stop being scared. Love is a huge risk, but love gives us a reason to love. “Our souls will never find satisfaction until our hearts have found this love that we so desperately yearn for…True love fills you when you breathe deeply of it and wounds you when you lose it. Love is the most powerful force in the universe. God is love, and he is everywhere” (McManus). This I believe.