Somer - Phoenix, Arizona

I believe that things worth doing are worth doing well, and that I am a unique, special individual that has so much potential to achieve anything. This belief came to me in the course of a year. During junior year at Mountain Pointe H.S, I have learned so much from one class, from one man. My professor has changed my view on academics and on life. However, the main theme that kept coming up was to believe in myself. Although it seems like a cliché moral, it was one that I had not fully grasped.

During my school years people had a tendency to put me down. They had the predetermined idea that I was the weird, crazy girl who was just loud and energetic. However, they had no idea that I was someone more. For some reason my professor saw that. He always complemented me on my ideas, and expected me to do more in his class. He had expected more from me, and since I respected him I had to prove him right. He intellectually challenged me, which drove me to success. One day when I was diligently working, he asked me about my work. I replied with “things worth doing are worth doing well.” He just smiled and agreed. I knew this was right and he believed in it. His recognition had just strengthened my belief in hard work. When junior year had come and passed and on the last day he said to my friend and I, “Why reach for the sky when you can touch the stars?” These two quotes had specifically reached me and they are what I remember when times are hard. When I have homework and projects up to my ears I just remember I can do this. They are also going to help me when I go off to college. There I will just remember hard work and believing in myself will pay off and will again lead me to success, and it will continue for when I get a job, and have a family, and in every aspect of life.