Alexandra - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: purpose, sports

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes people come into your life and you know right away that they were meant to be there to serve some sort of purpose, to teach you a lesson or to help figure out who you are or who you want to become. In my case, that person happened to be my coach and he happened to do all three.

After our old coach left us, our soccer team was left to fend for ourselves. I was worried at first; however, we were fortunate enough to find a man with little coaching experience, but with a lot of knowledge for the game. As months passed with the new coach, I began to get an idea of who he was. He frequently showed up to practice in a dress shirt and a tie coming from another workplace. I will never forget the day when, despite wearing a shiny pair of black dress shoes, he taught us how to chip the ball on the dusty ground. He volunteered his time to work with us whenever we wanted. I came to learn that my coach was not doing this for money or to put on his résumé. My coach was at the fields for three hours almost every night because he wanted to be there. He desired to be there. The way he talked to us before a game and the way he taught us right from wrong on the field shouted passion at the top of his lungs. The way he put fun into practice, smiled and laughed as he played showed me that this was not just a hobby, but more of an obsession. He wanted us to love the game the way he did. My coach taught me about desire, passion, heart and love for the game. I feel so fortunate to have been shown that you cannot play the game by solely going through the motions. You have to play the game because that is what you love to do. Because of him, I will never become the player that plays the game because that is what I am taught, I will be the player that plays the game because it is what I love and what I breathe.

Everything happens for a reason. Nothing happens by chance or by means of luck. And although he is not my coach anymore, he came into my life for a purpose and has left me with much more than I can begin to explain.