Matt - Phoenix, Arizona

The band Pennywise once wrote, “We can conquer anything together, all of us are bonded forever if you die I die that’s the way it is.” This quote represents what I have built my life on day in and day out. Brotherhood is what I believe in and is what will carry me through life until my last breath. Everyone has their own idea of what a brother is, but to me its quite simple. A brother is not just a person who was born into your family, not just a guy who you hung out with a few times in school; a brother is a person who you cannot live without. So far in life I have noticed a trend. This trend is friends come and go and are always a great commodity, but brothers are the ones who start out as friends, never go away, and after time become more than just a commodity, they become everything.

A common sign of allegiance is to tell someone that you would take a bullet for them. That’s always great to know, but words are cheap. For me, having to be told by a friend that they would take a bullet for me means, yes, they care about me, but can I be sure of what they are saying? I would never expect one of my brothers to tell me this; I already know they would do it and far much more. I know that if I was hanging off of a building and the only thing between the ground and me was one of my brothers, he would stand there and take the impact for me. Just the same, if I was down on the ground and looked up and saw one of my brothers hanging, I wouldn’t hesitate for a split second to break their fall. It would be like second nature to me. That confidence in one another is what creates a brotherhood.

Not only am I sure that the friends I consider brothers hold my life above their own, as I do theirs, they also know more about me than I do about myself. Brothers know when it’s time to mess around, but when it gets taken to far, they know when to lay off. Also, when they sense something is wrong, they’re always right even if I try to cover it up. Even in the worst of times brothers can make it better, if only for a while. Whether it’s taking my mind off the situation by going to a movie or figuring out what the problem is and fixing it, brothers always look out for each other. Knowing that there are a few guys out there who care about me just as much as they do themselves is what keeps me going. As we grow older and move our separate ways, I know that my brothers will only be a phone call away. They will never hesitate to be at my side. This, I believe, is what life is all about.