Toshina - FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida

Important Strangers

I believe in saying hello to someone and sparking up a conversation with different people, whether you know them or not. You never know who you will need in your lifetime. For example, I went to a restaurant next door to my job after my shift was over to have my first gelato. I sparked up a conversation with the waiter about how his night was going, and he gave me the gelato for free. I was given life and billions of people to share it with, whether that time shared per person be for 5 years or 5 minutes. Some people I speak to ask me “do I know you?” It surprises me each time I am asked that question because that makes me feel like saying “hello” and “how are you” either offended or shocked them that much. I guess that they do not realize that it is them I am speaking to.

I take time out to return a smile when I am given one. For example, I met my boyfriend months before I saw him for the second time, but he remembered who I was. What he remembered most about me was my smile and the brief conversation we had. We became very close since that night and have been together for about six months now. I help other people out when I see that they are down. Reach out. Say “hello” and/or “how are you.” I am not always in my own protective bubble. I step out and talk to people. It seems like it is almost a crime for some people to even smile at each other and spark up a conversation. There is a quote from the Bible that says, “be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” You never know who you will need in your lifetime. Life is not just about what we do, but who we meet, help, and receive help from. That is a major part of my life’s experience. So get out there and recognize someone. Greet them with something as simple as a smile. Ask someone where they are from or where they are going. You never know what that conversation could hold. There are so many important strangers to meet. This I believe.