Darren - Phoenix, Arizona

I believe that every journey begins with one small step. No matter how large or major a journey is, they all begin with a single step. You have to take that initial step in order to accomplish the entire journey. In my opinion, every journey is comprised of smaller journeys, and you can’t accomplish the entire journey without completing the first journey. Sure every step counts in the journey, but that initial step is the most crucial. Similar to the quote, “Rome wasn’t built in a day,” nothing can be done entirely; you have to take it easy and accomplish the little things.

I began to believe in this saying when my schoolwork became tough. At night, when I would be sitting at home trying to write a paper, I would think about the entire paper and say to myself, “I can’t write this. It’s too long and hard.” However, I would think about the saying and write my name on the paper, taking the first step. Once I had that initial step written, the entire essay was no problem. It was simply getting over the hump of taking the first step. I also apply this saying when I take exams. Most exams are long and strenuous. However, when you break it down, exams are nothing but a bunch of little problems put together. When I would sit down and begin to take a test, I would look at it and think to myself, “No way can I do this entire exam. It’s over 100 questions long.” Then, I would think to myself, “Every journey begins with one small step,” and realize that it’s not that difficult and all I have to do is take that initial step and do the first problem. Another aspect of my life that I have applied this saying to is sports. In tennis, the entire match for our team is winning six out of the nine points. However when you break it down, the six points is just each person’s match. Also, when you break down each person’s match, the match is just two sets. When you break down each set, the set is just six games. When you break down each game, the game is just four points. When you break down each point, the point is just you giving your best. Therefore, if I just give my best, and take the initial step of trying to win the first points, I can eventually win the entire match. This saying has helped me in every aspect of my life.

This saying has gotten me through countless rough nights, and numerous tough exams. I have really taken this saying into account in every aspect of my life. I have thought about this in regards to school, soccer, tennis, as well as life in general. I hope in the future I can continue to think about this saying and prosper through my life. Whenever I have been, or will be, in a tough predicament I always believe that “Every journey begins with one small step.”