Holly - Phoenix, Arizona

This I believe that when my great grandma died, I grew up to an adult. She was 94 years old and still acted like she was still in her early years. In the morning of March 23rd 2005, my sister came into my room and told me that our great grandma was dieing. My great grandma was suffering from lung cancer. I immediately got dressed and was ready to go to the hospital.

When my family and I got there, the presence in the hospital so eerie. It felt like all the TV shows, with the white walls and doctors running around. When we got to the floor where my great grandma was on, we saw my uncle in the hallway. He told us which room she was in so we could say our goodbyes. When I walked in the room, my grandma was by her side holding her hand and whispering to her. My family and I walked in slowing. My grandma got up from the bedside of my great grandma and came toward us with a heartbreaking look on her face. I knew what she was going to tell us. She said, “ I want you two girls to say your goodbyes to your great grandma first and then your parents can next.” I just couldn’t believe this was going to be the last time I would be talking to my great grandma. I didn’t know what I was going to say to her. She just was lying there with her eyes open but looking nowhere. My older sister went first. As I watched my sister talking to her, I began to get nervous and flustered. It was finally my turn to say goodbye. I walked up to my great grandma and sat by her side and told her that I loved her and that she would be in a better place and that I would soon see her later. Then I kissed her hand and walked to the back of the room where the rest of my family was. My mother and father said there goodbyes and I began to cry with my sister because I knew what was going to happen in the next few minuets. The room to the door came open and the whole entire Nelson family came into the room along with the nurse. The nurse gave my great grandma a big dose of Morphine and took her off the breathing machine. The nurse said, “ it will just be a few minutes now.” We all watched as my beautiful great grandma was taking her last few breaths. My sister and I just could not contain our crying when she silently took her last breath. She was gone and no one could bring her back.

From that moment on I knew that life was happening whether or not I wanted it to or not. I was no longer a child I became an adult. I realized that I needed to take every minute of life and not waste it. My great grandma taught me to really enjoy life because you only have one shot. Its been two years since then, and when I find myself getting caught up in negative parts of life, I remember that day and change the way I handle those situations.