Allen - hershey, Pennsylvania

I have a confession to make. I am blackmailed every night around 11:00. The blackmailer is not present when this occurs. In fact, the blackmailer doesn’t even call or email. No, the black mailer is located in a very unique place, my television.

I can recall a time when the 11:00 O’Clock News was a time to sit down and have information presented to you. Facts and stories would merely be presented for you to absorb, think about and then get on with your life.

Times change, however, and news stations have taken on a whole new approach to get you in your easy chair by 11:00. Yes, it goes back my theory about blackmail.

It begins innocently enough. A quick five second news spot strategically wedged between my favorite TV shoes. They are quick snippets that make you feel guilty if you don’t watch the news. I can hear them now,

“What might harm your child, tonight at 11:00!”

“What you may need to know in case the flu bug bites, tonight at 11:00″

“What may cause a fire in your home, tonight at 11:00.”

“Meteor going to hit the Earth, tune in tonight to find out!”

Okay, so I made up the last one, but

you get the point. News has moved from informing the viewer to stressing out the viewer. By the time I’ve turned off the TV at 11:30, I’ve been told what to worry about before the news, during the news, and even after the news so I’ll tune in tomorrow.

While I realize I cannot change this trend, I also realize that I can’t let myself worry about too much. No, instead I’ll wait until some reporter reports on the trend. Yes, I’ll wait for that snippet that might go something like this,

“Newscasters giving viewers heart attacks, news at 11:00.”

Then and only then will I know that it is officially okay to start to worry.