Violet - St. Paul, Minnesota

The Best Little Thing

My little sister Jessica and I are eight years apart. I am a freshman in college and she is a sixth grader. Jessica was born at the end of summer and I was born during the middle of spring. Jessica and I are out-going, tall, fun, enjoy life, risk-takers, and love to be surrounded by people.

I always found Jessica to be annoying because she would always want to do something with me. During my high school years, I never wanted to do anything with her and always told her “no.” I never understood why she always wanted to tag along. She will ask and ask and still, I said, “no” to her.

At the end of my senior year in high school, I went through a heartbreaking break down. I felt like I had no one at all, but who was there? Jessica was. She made me smile when it hurt so much and gave me happiness when I was at the lowest point of my life. I started to realize how important she was to me and how she’s affected me. I asked her to do things with me and I did my best to include her in everything I did; we became very close.

The summer before my freshman year was really short; I had two programs to attend before starting school. I hardly saw her that summer, but she would come and visit with my parents whenever they came and she’ll tell me how much she missed me. It always made my day because I knew that she cared.

As my first year in college started, I hardly came home. Jessica would call me and say that she was bored and wanted to talk or else she’ll ask me when I’ll come over, meaning when will I come home. I always thought it was so cute that she’ll just call me out of the blue and tell me she was bored so she decided to call me.

I realized after a year being in college that she is a wonderful person who has given me a new life and helped me look forward to something wonderful in life. That is why I believe that little sisters are the best little thing.