Jesse - hudson, Massachusetts

Laziness is an ever-increasing attribute of today’s generation and is therefore hindering the productivity and success we reach. Many people are lazy and lack the essential motivation needed to succeed in all aspects of life, including school and work. Students take on the minimal work required in order to pass a class; some even opt not to complete their course work. Laziness has become an epidemic that has spread throughout the nation and it’s time we take accountability for our actions, as well as our lackadaisical non-actions. I believe that in order for someone to succeed in class, at work or in life, in general, they must have a driving force to get them to do their work. Procrastination has become a norm among students. Gone are the days where students write out thoughtful first or second drafts – they’d rather whip out a shitty final copy ten minutes before it’s due. I believe students do not like to procrastinate, but rather it is a last resort. It has become extremely difficult for students to focus on their work because there are too many distractions occupying them. Technological advancements may help us to produce the first drafts or final copies needed for a class, but they also distract students from engaging in the process of writing a lab or paper.

However I believe that laziness does not only rear its head in the learning community but rather everywhere. Technology had been an enabler for people who were on the verge of laziness. It has gotten to the point where we rely on technological advancements to complete the simplest of tasks for us. People will take the elevator as opposed to the stairs; people will use a remote control as opposed to getting up and changing the channel. The nation wonders why it has such a struggle with obesity, the answer lies in the nation’s laziness.

Members of society are now too lazy even to get up and start their own car. They’d rather use an automatic car starter from the comfort of their own home. Soon enough people aren’t even going to have to move a finger to complete any task, they’re will be some kind of gadget to assist them. I believe that technology is a useful innovation in today’s society but we’re crossing a clear line into laziness. Many of these advancements in technology are far from necessary; they’re pure luxury. America’s booming technology advancements are why I believe this nation has become so lazy and obese. Something needs to be done to break up this horrible pattern: as technology advances, laziness and obesity increase. Technology could be used for better things than for creating an atmosphere where someone has the choice to not get up or do anything for him or herself. Laziness is a disabling disease the needs to be resolved – this I believe.