skyler - boulder, Colorado

Through out my whole life there have always been those utterly depressing times when it feels like nothing could ever go right, but some how even when it’s the worst of the worst it has always come through. Many times the people that are able to help the most in these times of need don’t even know that they are doing anything to help me. It’s always a friendly pat on the back or just a hug. It’s their kind words in the hall ways or maybe just even a smile. There is also that close friend that knows everything, and I mean everything.

This is the person I can always turn to. To him it doesn’t seem like it’s a big deal they just love on me in every little action they take. He is never trying to hurt, just always trying to help. He is willing to tell me when I have crossed the line and how I should be true to myself. He doesn’t have the every day fears of this world when it comes to me. To me this friend has always been and always will be. We do just about every thing. We go tux shopping for the prom and get asked, in very subtle way, if we were going with each other. On church trips we win the award for the best couple. With another friend we even wrote and preformed a song that was devoted to the great game of kickball. But even though all these fun times we have had little arguments and quarrels that break my heart. He is the only person that I can truly rely on to tell me the truth even when I don’t want to hear it. And he hasn’t failed me once in that, not once.

In this past year I was forced to make a decision towards the advancement in life as a hockey player. It came down to if I wanted to play varsity hockey or play with my best friend. It took me forever and I thought it was such a hard decision but I finally chose what I knew I wanted the whole time. I went with my best friend and never looked back.

It was through the times and decisions like those that I found what I truly believed in my life. That going to be with the ones I love and care about will always be what is right for me.