Aaron - Hopkinton, Massachusetts

I believe in honesty. I believe that if you are honest with yourself you will be able to live to your true potential and really enjoy your life. I’ve come to realize that many of my problems are created when I am dishonest with others or myself. If I am true to myself I am able to feel comfortable with who I really am and comfortable showing others the real me. There’s no reason I should feel the need to hide anything about myself from anyone else to be accepted.

In most instances dishonesty will always present itself as the easier path, but how many easy choices in life are actually the right ones? The more lies I tell the easier it becomes not to tell the truth, and the harder it becomes to stop. Within the last year I started having really bad anxiety attacks, and at first I had no idea what was causing them. After a few months with anxiety attacks escalating in intensity I came to the conclusion that I was constantly acting like someone I wasn’t and second-guessing every decision I made. With difficulty at first, I began making an effort at being truthful with others and with myself. Obviously no one’s perfect, I still tell a white lie or two, but for the on the whole I deterred myself from dishonesty and my anxiety attacks are for the most part a thing of the past.

Lying is just a defense mechanism used when a person is scared to face the truth or afraid to divulge the truth to others and wants an easier way out. In my experience my lies often don’t hold up to someone else’s scrutiny and I have to cover them up with another lie. One lie leads to another and another until it becomes more of a hassle than telling the truth would have been in the first place.

When you lie to someone else about yourself not only are you deceiving them, you are being untruthful to yourself as well. Whenever I lie to someone about myself I create an untrue self-image that I must adhere to whenever I am around that person. After proclaiming a lie for long periods of time it sometimes becomes difficult to tell fact from fiction, I begin to believe my own lies. By doing this I allow pieces of myself to turn into someone I am not and I lose a part of who I really am. But when I am honest with myself I am able to embrace things for how they truly are and feel content with who I am and not who I wish I could be. When I refrain from telling lies I begin to have more trust in everyone around me as well. I am able to suspend my suspicions and doubts in others and in doing so begin to enjoy life much more.