Eunice - WinstonSalem, North Carolina

“Make a joyful noise.” I believe in singing. I never remember having a good voice like they say I do now. My horrible voice during my grade school days was sometimes unbearable. I don’t know what I saw about singing but at the age of ten, I knew there was more to singing for me than just the shower. For some reason, I felt relieved when I sang. I always sang even if I was happy or sad.

It all started one day at church when I decided to sing in front of the congregation during a singing program. I just wanted to see how it felt to sing to a lot of people other than my family members. I didn’t really care if I sounded good or bad because I knew that singing made me happy so I guess I didn’t care much about being embarrassed. After singing, I got a great applause from the crowd and aside that the feeling I got was priceless. It was the best feeling I had ever had from singing. At that moment I figured that I felt this way because I was grateful that I had a tongue and a voice to make a joyful noise. Time went by so fast that all I saw was that I was singing at church every Sunday with the choir, solo and every opportunity I got to sing even if it was for a minute. And the feeling I got when I sang got better each time.

I love the expression on people’s faces when I sing. It got to a time when I was too busy to sing and those were the most horrible times because I felt I had something with me that I had to give out. I remember my mother saying “ God will take away your talent if you don’t use it.” Then I realized I had a talent, I still don’t know when this talent came to me because my voice was termed as ‘froggy’ some years back.

I believe in singing because it serves as food for my soul and for others. I cry when I sing in front of people just because I feel very grateful to have a voice to sing since others don’t and I feel that it is why I have mine. I have a voice so I can be able to sing to those who don’t have any. I don’t know what I would do without singing because it is everything to me. People always ask me if I am going to pursue it as a career but I always tell them no. Singing to me is a gift so I have to give it others as a gift too.

I still sing even if my throat is dried. I am just waiting for the day that I will sing to heal that will be the best time of my life. This I believe.