Katie - Hingham, Massachusetts

I believe in being happy. If there is some small issue that is making me unhappy, then I will try and get over it as fast as I can. In my opinion it just is not worth spending the precious time of my life sulking. There are so many other emotions that I have experienced but why stay fixed in an unpleasant mood when you could be feeling much better? I believe it is possible to bring yourself from one lesser, more depressing emotion, to happiness. For example, whenever I get a lower grade on an assignment than I had hoped or perhaps get a little disappointed with one of my friends, I do not let it bring me down for long. I find something else to occupy my mind with and I become cheerful once again. This also ties into how I will not hold grudges with anyone for very long at all. If I happen to get mad at a sibling or a friend, I reevaluate what it is we are fighting about and most of the time it is something stupid. So I think to myself “Is this really worth getting into a fight over? Would I rather be angry and lose a friend or make peace and continue having good times with this person?” Mostly, it’s a very easy decision. When quarreling over trivial matters I am angry for less than a day, and then I patch things up. Admitting I am sorry, or was wrong is hard sometimes, but if it solves an issue then it is always worth it. Having a friend is always better than having a space where a friend used to be. For instance, I have a friend who is always getting mad at me for no real reason at all. So I just let her be mad and I act exactly how I would if she was not mad at me and eventually she gets over it and everything returns to normal. Just continuing to be happy and keeping my spirits up in these situations makes the problem resolve itself. I believe this philosophy manifested itself in me around the time I was eleven. I believe this has to do with the fact that when I was ten years old, my mother died from complications due to diabetes. This was, and still is, the worst thing I have had to go through. I coped with this in my own ways and slowly throughout the years I realized that I now look at the world differently. Not letting little things get me down became how I lived my life.

I do not want to be an unhappy person because life is unexpected and anything could happen at anytime. I would like to be remembered as a happy person, and not someone who was always in bad mood. I’m not saying I will never feel any other emotion. I’m just saying that I’m not going to let anything thing affect me that I feel is not worth getting upset over. Most things that happen to bring your mood down are little things and I just remind myself that there are much worse things to go through. Everyone goes through these everyday emotions, I’d just rather they not visit me for too long.