Samuel - Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts

I believe that love needs patience and consideration. When dealing with problems with my family members or after quarreling with my girlfriend over a matter, I always feel that I need patience and consideration to try to understand situation of the person whom I have a conflict with. If I do not have patience and consideration on my partners, conflicts do not end. Buying a new car was one of these conflicts between my father and me.

I thought I really needed to have a new car because for seven years I really had difficulty in moving. The dorm at the campus were always closed every vacation. I needed to move to my friend’s house, and without having a car, it was a hard process for me to move myself and my baggage to my friend’s house. I always had to beg them to give me a ride. Also, when going to the airport to go back to Korea, I had to take a taxi cab to get there, and it cost over $200 every time.

I was arguing with my father if I was going to buy a new car or not. At first, he wanted me to buy a used one. My father was not aware of the fact that finding a used one is also a difficult process. There were lots of time consuming to go to the dealer for several times to choose a used car, and I always had to ask my friend to give me a ride to the dealer. My father and I had to have patience and consideration in order to find a solution to this argument. My father and I both raised our voices to each other, but we finally lowered it because we were both acquainted with the fact that lowering our voices was the first step that we needed to follow to have patience and consideration and to find a good solution. At the moment, I had to consider that my family had not been affluent, and it was hard for my family to provide me with studying abroad in the US. My father also needed to consider how I had been living here for seven years in needy circumstances without a car. Also, we lowered our voices and soothed our wounded minds by encouraging each other.

Now I have my new car. However, I often think that I should have been more open-minded to my father. I often think that I should have had more consideration. Maybe I was not aware of the basic parental love that my father had given to me. My father and mother gave birth to me. They both let me learn things. Thanks to them giving the birth to me, it became possible that I knew happiness and sadness of my life. Thanks to them, I got to know what the air tastes like, what being exposed to the night dew feels like. It was fundamental love that I was presented with.

I will use this car thoroughly and with care from now on because I believe that my new car is another love from my parents for me. I believe that my car is the result of my patience and consideration between my parents and me. They just gave it to me with love. It is a favor which cannot be considered as something that has a price on it. I know it. I decide that I will yield next time for my parents and commit myself to live repaying for love from my parents. Love needs patience and consideration, and these bring happiness. This I believe.