Everyone Deserves a Second Chance

Kristin - Trussville, Alabama

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance. Every person deserves to be forgiven. Everybody messes up from time to time, but I think that they deserve to get another chance. Sometimes it is hard to forgive, but it is always the right thing to do.

There have been several times in my life where I have found it extremely hard to forgive someone for what they had done to me, my family, or any of my friends. These past few years of my life have been especially tough for me to deal with my anger towards other people. I used to think, well if they cannot forgive, why should I? But, a couple of months ago I realized that not forgiving someone, no matter what they had done, was a sin.

The night that I really realized that forgiveness was the right thing to do, it was Kappa Chi at my church. We had a guest speaker, Joey Hill, who had a great testimony, and told some stories about his life that was amazing. Saturday night while he was preaching, his words really spoke to my heart. I cannot remember today exactly what he said, but it really touched me. It made me think of a verse I had once read in my Bible in Colossians. Verse 3:13 says, “Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” That verse really made me look at my life, and see who all I needed to forgive. I could not think of a time that I had sat down and talked to God about all of the sins in my life. That night changed my life forever.

I have sinned many times, and I don’t deserve to be forgiven. But, God still forgives, and I need to also. Ever since that night, I try my best to forgive everyone in my life who upsets me, is mean to me, or just makes me mad. I am a sinner, so it is not easy. But every time that I find it hard to be a forgiving person, I think of that verse in Colossians that tells me that I must do so.

Almost everyday, most people experience things in their life that they will never forget. And for some of those people, they experience things they will never forgive. But, from my past problems, I have learned that life will go smoother if you learn to forgive. You can live a happier person knowing you aren’t holding any grudges against anyone. When I forgive people, I am not mad at anyone, which puts me in a better mood. Even though it is hard, forgive. And remember: forgive as the Lord forgave you.

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance and to be forgiven.