Trisha - Oak Ridge, New Jersey

I believe that the little things matter. Some may think that a card, a simple letter, a smile or even saying hello has no meaning to people yet in reality it means the world. I have always cared about other people’s happiness over my own. I would much rather see the people I love to be happy. Ever since I was a child I always remember trying to please others. No matter what I did, whether it was a simple hug or a random gift, I aimed to please.

I have seen the smallest insignificant things turn someone’s horrible day into a brighter one. From my boyfriend, to my family and friends the little things are what make a difference. It does not matter how much money you spend on a person. Whether or not you got a diamond necklace or a car for a present, you could get a heartfelt card and roses and it will have the same impact on a person.

Occurrences in my life have taught me many important things about caring for other people. One day I was out at a shopping mall and saw a poster that an acquaintance of mine would love. I in turn purchased that poster. When I gave it to her, it absolutely made her day. She continued to thank me for it, and to think it only cost less than ten dollars. Some times getting something for someone “just because” makes all the difference in the world.

The littlest things can mean so much to someone. For instance sending post-its and little messages to my boyfriend makes him smile. Sending something as simple as a hello text message or letter to someone lets them know that you care. I believe that it is not about the value of a gift but the meaning and feelings behind what you are giving. A hand written letter telling someone how much you love and care for them is worth more than anything you could ever purchase.

I was never really told to make sure I was happy with what I was doing in my life. I made my own decisions. I aimed to please; I was always willing to do anything for anyone. I felt as though having happy people around me would in turn make me a happier person. I believe in happiness. A smile makes a difference. Simply saying hello or waving to someone can turn their day around. Sometimes it may bring just a moment of happiness to someone. Little things make people happy.

Showing someone that you care for them can be a great experience. To know that you are loved and that someone out there wants to see you happy can mean the world. A hug, kiss, wave, letter, smile or hello may seem as an everyday thing to some, but think how a day would be without it. You may begin to realize how those little things bring a sense of joy and happiness to your day. Soon you will realize that no matter how insignificant that they may seem the little things matter.