Dana - Scottsdale, Arizona

I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.

– – – -Abraham Lincoln

One word can have multiple interpretations. What is justice? If a killer is found guilty and sentenced to death row, is that justice? Justice, like many other things, depends on a person’s morals. I am not an advocate of the death penalty, so with that verdict I would not agree that justice had been fulfilled.

Justice is punishing the guilty and helping the innocent. Putting the convicted felons behind bars is what justice in our country is all about. Jail takes away liberty and freedom, the ultimate punishment. Killing and torture are in no forms justice. Killing your brother’s killer is not justice, it is revenge. Most forms of justice have to do with religious beliefs. The Taliban, for example, hold on to their Korans and insist that they believe justice is being carried out when they stone their adulterers to death. Here in the United States, we have an amendment forbidding cruel and unusual punishment. This important law is extremely controversial.

Justice and ethics go hand in hand. I do not look at the death penalty as justice. I do not believe in “an eye for an eye” approach. Justice should be carried out to help those in need. It should benefit those who need help and who have been wronged in the past. Justice is carried out when the ill treated are revived and the evil is put away and shamed.