Jane - Scottsdale, Arizona

Friendship(n): a consistency

Friends are people who walk in and out of our lives. Some come and teach us lessons and others give us laughs, but I’ve found the most important people who are classified as friends are the ones who are there for you through everything, the good times and the bad. They are the people who supply you with hundreds of tears of laughter, the ones who hug you and don’t let go, the ones who know when something is really wrong when you timidly ensure them everything is fine. Friends are a blessing that some people don’t ever get the pleasure of having. I on the other hand have been extremely lucky to have met someone who was a truly amazing person, and no doubt in my mind, my best friend.

Horizon High School has presented many people, none who I thought I would ever consider my best friends. But, I unexpectedly met someone who has been a best friend, a first love, a boyfriend, and now someone who I can hardly get along with. Sophomore year, biology, I met a boy named Robbie Nickels. Robbie and I met through friends of a friend and grew close because we shared some of the same interests, and of course we shared our every day second hour. Robbie and I both lived our separate lives as young nieve sophomore kids, but when we entered Mr. Talarico’s class it was all about having fun. Soon our friendship grew out of the class room and we talked occasionally on the phone, hung out on some weekends and started to consider each other good friends. Robbie would talk to me about issues with his girl friend and I would do the same about issues with my boyfriend. However, at the end of sophomore year things changed. Robbie’s relationship with his girlfriend grew rocky, I had been separated from my boyfriend for a few months prior, and mine and Robbie’s relationship grew stronger. At the very end of sophomore year, a week before closing quarter, my dad had suffered from a severe heart attack and died. Robbie never once left my side that whole summer. He was a complete consistency. He made late night visits when I was upset or sad. We went on countless walks together just to talk, and he would always call to check in on me. Robbie was the best friend anyone could ask for. Everything he did was because he wanted to. There was nothing ever in it for him, he protected me and comforted me out of the love of his own heart. Robbie was the one person I knew I could count on to bring a smile to my face. The only guy I knew I could hug as long as I wanted without him pulling away.

Robbie taught me so much. He taught me what it means to have a best friend. I was never afraid to call him if I needed anything, and I knew whatever it is I needed, it would be done instantly. Robbie was also and extremely unbias opinion. He always told me exactly what he was thinking and never coated the truth. We were so comfortable with each other that the truth was just simply the truth. Eventually I began to look up to Robbie and respect him as a person. He was an extremely loyal friend and would do anything in his power to keep his friends from feeling one ounce of pain. He was well rounded and knew what was important in life. He never wanted to disappoint anyone. He attended church regularly, even though he never really wanted to, he did it for the sake of making his parents happy. Although the boy did have some flaws, in my eyes he was always a perfect person. He never cheated, never lied, and always put me first. He showed me what it was like to be honest and loving and to show respect to the people who we care about.

I repeatedly thank God every day for sending Robbie my way. Unfortunately now a days Robbie and I don’t get along quite as well as we used to. We’ve grown to see differences we can’t seem to overcome. But, I’ve grown to look at the positive side and be thankful for what he has taught me. Robbie has showed me what friendship is and what you can expect out of a person who calls you their best friend. He’s showed me true honesty and loyalty and what it means to love someone unconditionally. I’m extremely lucky to have met such a wonderful person who has the qualities of a perfect human being. I’m even more blessed to have had this person so close and dear to my heart. Robbie has by far been one of the biggest influences in my life helping me to be the person I am today.