nicole - rogers, Minnesota

Let it Be

I believe that the saying “let it be” is a good way to find happiness in life. I remember when I was six years and I would sit in my room and sing along with a Beatles tape practically blaring in my Playskool cassette player. “Let it be” was my favorite song. I was first introduced when my nanny Emma played it for my sister and me after she tore us out of a useless fight. I fell instantly in love. At first I did not completely understand the meaning of the song or why she played it for us, I was only six.

As time went on I began to learn the meaning, my mother would constantly hold it to me and she would say, “Just remember Nikki, let it be.” The annoyance of my little sister drove me absolutely insane, so in order to keep the peace I would tell myself “let it be.” This helped our relationship immensely. I learned to let things roll off my shoulders. Bickering and taunting each other did not cease to exist in within our family but I was learning at points how to control myself and stay happier. I am glad that I was learning so young that it was just better to keep the peace. Taking myself out of dramatic situations has come to help me many other times.

Middle school is probably the hardest and most awkward times in everyone’s life. Friends would come and friends would go. Along with the friends came drama. Even though we all knew that it did not matter what other people thought of us it could still cut like a knife. I didn’t always know how to handle it but if I wanted to make the best of our preteen years we had to stay happy, it helped to just let some things go. It wasn’t always easy because some things were worse than others but people were always talking so I learned to just shake it off and let it be. Striking back never helped much because it would only come back to haunt me so I had to learn to live with peace and without drama.

Later on in my life I became very familiar with the fact that I wouldn’t always be accepted. I am a dancer, and I have worked very hard to get to where I am today with my dancing. I say that because in order to get better parts, make it to the front row, perform solos, and make better teams you have to audition. I have auditioned for so many parts that rejection is now a sign of needed progression rather than a sign of failure. I think this way because if I just stayed mad and didn’t forget the rejection I would never get better since I would be to concentrate on being mad. I know that I am not the best dancer out there and I want to be known for accepting that so I just let it be.

Qualities that I have gained from believing in the saying “let it be” are: how to keep the peace, leave myself out of sticky situations, accept rejection and the Beatles must have known what the were talking about. Peace is my way of life. I will continue to speak the words of wisdom “let it be.”