Alexander - New Fairfield, Connecticut

It’s two a.m. and I’m down to the wire. I’ve had all week to do my work and you know what? I’m still not doing it. I believe that procrastination is an art form, and considerable skill is required to pull it off.

When I was in the eighth grade I was assigned the biggest project if my life. It was a research paper that had to have 30 different sources and a 20 minute presentation. I took this as a challenge, if not in the way others would see. How was I able to completely goof off for the entire month until the project is due and then finish it all in one night? The answer is sheer determination. It took a lot of guts to slack off on the biggest project ever, but I could handle it.

One month later I’m furiously scrambling to find 30 sources with only two hours until I catch the bus. Not many people can pull that off and still get a decent grade, but I can. I’ve been doing it all my life. Even as I write this its only one hour before I leave for class to hand this very paper in. Once I learned what I could do with little time and a lot of pressure it became so easy to leave my work till the last minute.

Could it be an addiction? Like so many other, have I fallen into a routine that will eventually destroy my college career? Maybe. But I’m well practiced in my art, and plan to continue until the last possible second. I guess that’s what it will come down to: procrastinating dealing with my procrastination. However, I’m not ready to do that, I’m having much more fun relieving myself of responsibility only to have the pressure build to crunch time.

Now I’m not saying my way is the way to go but it certainly works for me. Now if you’ll excuse me I’d like to shower and eat some breakfast before I hand this in.