Travis - Trussville, Alabama

This I believe, when life seems hopeless it will always get better. Through my life I had never been hit with any real tragedy. So I would not have been able to make this argument with much personal experience. That all changed spring break 2007.

On the Tuesday of my spring break one of the most significant moments of my life occurred. My grandparent’s house is one level. I was in the back room getting something out of my bag. All of a sudden I heard my grandmother screaming for me to hurry up and get in here. So I ran as fast as I could to the front of their house where she was. When I walked in I saw my grandfather slumped over in a chair and my grandmother trying to hold him up. As I ran to them my grandfather was a very sick yellow color. We tried to help him but nothing we did would make him better. I called 911. After what seemed like forever an ambulance finally arrived. The paramedics told us to help them get him on the floor to get blood into his brain. My grandfather is not a small man, but after a while we got him down. Since they live so far out in the country a helicopter had to be called in to carry my grandfather to Nashville. Nashville is about a two hour drive from where they live. When we arrived in Nashville we learned that there was 70% blockage in a main artery. He had a stint put in and eventually got to go home. But on the way home our car broke down and we had to deal with that. Some friends of theirs that had just been visiting were still in Nashville. We got in touch with them and they drove us home. After many hours we finally arrived home.

To restate my main point everything did turn out alright. My grandfather could very well have died that day, but through much prayer and help from friends we did fine. Nothing is too terrible to overcome there will always be a better end. The better end of my story was getting home and having to go to a funeral that Monday. I thank God everyday that my better end was the way it was.