Casey - Trussville, Alabama

I believe children should be warned what not to do, but will learn from their own experiences anyway.

“Do not do this”, “Do not do that”, and “Did I not tell you?” I heard those words often when I was in elementary school. My parents would tell me what not to do, but being the daredevil I was, I wanted to know why? Why am I not allowed to swim in the pool with nobody else at home or why can I not leave the house when I am the only one home. Many of the answers were and still are for my own safety, but I thought my parents would not ever know.

My best example for my belief is when I was 5 years old. My mother always told me cats do not like water and do not put one in it. I wondered why not, cats drink it. One day seeing my cat by the pond in my backyard I decided I was going to see why cats do not like water. My cat’s name was Alafaya. He was a great hunter; he would sit by the pond and catch fish out of the water. Sitting there watching him I figured if I threw him in the pond I would finally get my answer. Slowly, creeping up behind him I grabbed him, picked him up, pet him, and did not let him know he was about to get the surprise of a lifetime, or so I thought. Just as I was lifting him up for the big flight into the pond he clawed me in the throat and upper lip (I still have the scar to this day for proof). By the time I got him away from my body he had caught on that I was going to send him into the pond. I ran inside to my mom crying of course because I did not see my surprise coming. When my mom finally calmed me down and asked what had happened, too ashamed to let her know she was right I said, “Alafaya was about to attack the baby ducks so I jumped in the way.”

This is not my only experience in which I came to think my belief was true, but it is the one experience that stands out the most. My parents warned me what not to do, but I learned from my own experience anyway.