Derrick - Trussville, Alabama

I believe that it is completely insignificant to care what other people think a bout me. I ma not saying that I live my life not caring about the impression I leave with people, but that obsessing over if people care how my hair looks or what cloths I wear I something that I choose not to put much thought on. For most of my life, other people’s opinion is something that I mad one of my top priorities. It was this year that my beliefs changed completely.

It was around late March, at a friends of mine’s birthday party when I first began to believe that people’s opinion was somewhat irrelevant. We were sitting out at a bon fire talking when someone took my phone and started playing music. They played a few songs then they came to “2 Step.” Almost immediately, they started telling me to dance. SO me being the uncoordinated guy how has no idea how to 2 Step, I did it anyways to make everyone laugh. I might say that it was pretty funny. After that song, we listened to “Before He Cheats” by Carrie Underwood. At that time, I had a rake playing the guitar and singing. Though I had a blast, I highly doubt that I would have ever stood up in front of all my friends and sang Carrie Underwood in years before now.

About a month later, I had another experience that showed how much I had changed in the last year. After Sam Brown broke his knee, Mrs. Brown asked me to join the play. I had never thought of ever doing theater before this year. Standing up in front of people has never been one of my strong traits. However, to my surprise, it was not as hard as I had imagined. Being in front of people became easier and easier as we did more shows. Before the year, I would of never imagined me putting on powder and lip stick to go dance and sing in front of the entire student body.

So, caring to make a good impressing is something that AI believe is bery important. However, obsessing how people think I look or act is something that makes absolutely no sense to me. My freshman year, I have changed tremendously. I have come to make my own personality and image that is completely absent of other’s judgement. Before, I made decisions based on what people might think. I have decided to stop wasting my life following others and decided to make my own path despite what others think